Wednesday, March 4, 2009

On Self Editing

I mentioned in my previous post my frustration with grammar and spelling mistakes. We had been posting comments to our class blog, and they were filled with errors. Our In2Books pen pal letters had some problems too. I spent quite a while guiding students to edit their own work. This is a painful activity for me, one of my least favorite as a teacher.With 27 comments waiting for me to help with editing, I wasn't looking forward to today. I often wonder if it is worth it.

IT IS! Today I assigned the students another commenting activity, and sure enough, the comments were far better. I was able to approve many without editing. Some have even written back to their In2Books pen pals, and I already see more attention to detail (the shift key is for more than just filling out a rectangular keyboard!).

Sometimes it is frustrating to teach and teach, wondering if it is really making a difference. Today was a pleasant reminder that the hard (and sometimes painful) work pays off.

As a side note, I'm also able to bring the students to the lab, where they log on, follow a link to my blog, and follow the directions on my blog. The only verbal direction I give is, "Log on and go to our blog." This frees up so much time for things like editing and specialized instruction. If only my students had laptops in their desks at all times...

1 comment:

  1. Tara, I've added your blog to my Google reader and am really looking forward to following your reflections on the many ways you are extending writer beyond the walls of the classroom.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete