Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Letting the Inmates Run the Asylum

How do you make it work with 20 laptops in a classroom of 26? I could have it much worse and only have 1 computer so I'm not complaining! Still, it presents a challenge. To start the year, we were typing up paragraphs written about the regions of California. Naturally, some have finished earlier than others. They have become my experts. I have printing experts, and today I established blogging experts. These experts are the ones who get done early, who don't deserve yet another ditto to color/fill out/turn in/turn on/drop out. So, they worked on the blog while being interrupted many times by yet another student needing help.

What did I, as the teacher, do? I worked my way around the room offering advice and suggestions to the students who needed it. I watched as they fought with Microsoft Word and the lovely green and red "squiggles" (as we call them). I listened as my "helpers" offered their own advice on how to get rid of the squiggles: ("Dude, you have to spell it right!" "You have to capitalize!") ***A side note: Microsoft Word's editing marks do wonders for immediate feedback on writing.*** I didn't help anyone print, and yet at least everyone has 1 printout. I think I probably could have left the room and gone for coffee if it were an option!

In the meantime, I dangled a carrot over the heads of my early finishers. If they could do at least 2 blog comments, one on the current post and one on any of their choice, then they can get their own blog. The caveat was, the posts must be well written, more than 1 sentence, and be edited for punctuation/spelling/capitalization. Lo and behold, even with all the interruptions of students requiring assistance, I got comments!

I'm still fearful of letting go of the old ways. My inner control freak can't stand not being the one to feed them the curriculum. Can they really "discover" it for themselves with decently planned assignments? I can't leave anyone behind! But I have to admit, getting to be the one walking around while the others did the teaching was a nice feeling. If only all days can go like this!

Oh yes, how do I deal with the 20 computers? Well, there is 1 extra, so that one was used, as was 1 in the computer lab. Two were absent, and once all of my "typers" were ready to type, I doubled up the ones who had already completed their blog comments and let them explore http://4kids.com. Apparently that is a fun and educational website...at least according to my "experts."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tara,

    I think a lot of your readers are teachers or perhaps in some area of education and so I’m writing to suggest www.school-counselor.org as a resource link on your blog. This website provides career and licensure information for those who are interested in moving into the school counseling profession.

    Hope this is helpful,

    Seth Sanford

    ReplyDelete